Ingrown r toe nail, with slight swelling. What benefit does epsom salt has anyway?

Decreased swelling . Epsom salt soaks help to reduce the swelling and soothe the tissue. If your ingrown toenail is chronic then you need to see a podiatrist.
Decrease swelling. Ingrown nails need to be treated with minor outpatient surgery. The offending part of the nail is removed and a partial nail matriectomy (nail matrix destruction) is performed. The procedure allows the traumatized skin around the affected nail to heal and will prevent future recurrence by causing the nail to not grow so wide and curve at the edge. The procedure is done by dermatology & podiatry.
None. Soaking in lukewarm water will soften the nail but does nothing to cure the ingrown nail.
Some. Soaking in epsom salt & water may helpto soothe the skin and reduce the swelling. But if it is a true ingrown toenail, at least a portion of the nail will probably need to be removed.
2 things. Reduces swelling and also will draw out infection if present. Some docs will have patients to these soaks after an ingrown toenail surgery. One could try it to relieve an ingrown toenail , but likely, it may help reduce swelling but the ingrown nail itself will have to be removed.