I just had meniscus repair surgery. How long am waiting until I can walk safely on it?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It depends
Depending on the type of repair, your surgeon may protect your weightbearing and your activities to maximize healing.
If part of the torn meniscus was removed, you would be allowed to walk as soon as you feel able. However, if the torn meniscus was repaired with sutures, then you might need to use crutches (partial weightbearing) for 4-6 weeks and gradually resume walking. Check with the doc.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Depends
Follow your surgeon's instructions because you want to give your meniscus the best opportunity to heal.
Usually, this is 4-6 wks of non-weight bearing, but it depends on the size of the repair and its location.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery