For someone with Marfan syndrome. Is there treatments that can prolong his life expectancy?

Dr. Scott McLean
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Several treatments!

Yes! children and adults with marfan syndrome can have gradual widening of the aorta - the major artery connected to your heart.
Sometimes the aorta becomes so weak that it breaks. But your cardiologist can use an ultrasound machine to watch your aorta very carefully. She can treat you with medicines to slow down the enlargement, and your chest surgeon can even replace your aorta if necessary.

In brief: Several treatments!

Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Surgery - Thoracic

While there is no specific rx for this genetic connective tissue disorder, life is prolonged by treating it's complications.
This reminds me of my patient i operated on for acute dissection of ascending aorta 26 years ago and 10 years later for enlarging abdominal aortic aneurysm. He is still alive today and i see him annually for check up.

Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology