Is it possible to tell if I have a broken bone in my foot?

X-ray. X-ray is the way to best tell this. Pretty hard to do based on physical exam alone. Ct, MRI may also diagnose, though x-ray is first-line.
Without x-rays? Without imaging studies, determining whether there is a broken bone is not easy. When there is crunching with excruciating pain an swelling or obvious deformity (yuck!), it can be obvious. Otherwise, an orthopedist can often determine fractures with palpation (pushing around), or with a tuning fork (though not many of us carry one around with us!).