I am pregnant, am I more susceptible to legionnaires' disease?

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine
In brief: Probably not
Legionnaires' disease is an infection with a bacteria that causes a pneumonia.
It is transmitted in a waterborne fashion, often from cooling towers, humidifiers and such. It is treated with antibiotics. Risk factors include smoking, older age, diabetes, lung or kidney disease, cancer, or a poor immune system. Pregnancy is not a known risk factor, but caution makes sense for the baby's sake.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: No
Male gender, cigarette smoking, chronic heart or lung disease , renal failure, organ transplant, any immunosuppression, some forms of cancer and age over 50 years all predispose to legionaires' disease.
Pregnancy is not felt to be a risk factor.

In brief: No
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein