I smoke, am I more susceptible to contracting legionnaires' disease?

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine
Legionnaires' disease is an infection with a bacteria that causes a pneumonia.
It is transmitted in a waterborne fashion, often from cooling towers, humidifiers and such. It is not spread person-to-person. It is treated with antibiotics. Avoiding a source is the best way to avoid infection. Risk factors include smoking, older age, diabetes, lung or kidney disease, cancer, or a poor immune system.

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
Male gender, cigarette smoking, chronic heart or lung disease , renal failure, organ transplant, any immunosuppression, some forms of cancer and age over 50 years all predispose to legionaires' disease.
As a cigarette smoker you are also at risk for many forms of cancer and for shronic lung disease such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Quit.

Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein