I love to go to a local spa. Am I at more risk for contracting legionnaires' disease?

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Perhaps..

Since the legionella bacterium is found in water and can spread by aqueous aerosols, spas have been one type of location where transmission has occurred but so has water sprays in grocery stores, hospital and home showers and cooling towers.
From my perspective, you are likely not putting yourself in much more danger by going there.

In brief: Perhaps..

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Yes, but risk is low

Legionnaires' disease is an infection with a legionella bacteria that causes a pneumonia.
It is transmitted in a waterborne fashion, often from cooling towers, humidifiers and such. It is not spread person-to-person. It is treated with antibiotics if found. Avoiding the source is the best way to avoid infection, and yes, you could get it from a water source at your spa, but it is uncommon.

In brief: Yes, but risk is low

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Steven Seres