I want to be thin again. Should I use lbs or BMI to gauge success on diet?

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu

In brief: Both

The BMI will reflect your weight based on your height.
Substantial weight will decrease your BMI. However small weight may not change your BMI. I advise patients to monitor their energy level and overall feeling and fitness to avoid frustration during efforts to lose weight. Provided they are following a healthy diet and regular exercise. Losing 1 -2 pounds a week is great

In brief: Both

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu

In brief: You decide

BMI is just a special index that factors weight divided by length in a special way.
It does have the benefit of being standardized over different ages at a stated length. However, it changes slowly. If you want to monitor success of a life change including diet & activity a direct measurement of your weight once a week will be easier to see a change.

In brief: You decide

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: BMI

Bmi is indicator of basal metabolic index & it is derived by dividing pounds over square root of inches (how tall you are), then multiplying the result by 703.
It gauges your health as you lose the pounds.

In brief: BMI

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine