Can you tell me if there are any alternatives to surgery for omphalocele?

In brief: No

Unfortunately, there are no other real alternatives.
The bowel needs to be placed back in abdomen, slowly (depending on how much is outside) and the defect has to closed primarily (ie surgery).

In brief: No

Dr. Kirpal Singh
Dr. Kirpal Singh
Dr. Charles Vinocur
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Occasionally

I depends on the size of the defect.
In very large omphaloceles, we can paint the area and allow the "sac" to become covered with ingrowth of skin. Over time, the defect will need to be repaired as it becomes a large hernia. However, many of the babies with this have other defects that need to be repaired surgically. Very small ones, called hernias of the cord may not need repair.

In brief: Occasionally

I depends on the size of the defect.
Dr. Charles Vinocur
Dr. Charles Vinocur
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery