Is there a possibility of someone becoming cross eyed though they weren't born that way?

There are both worrisome and transient problems that can give rise to this problem.To rule out the bad issues, brain imaging is usually required after your history and exam is reviewed by your doc.
I've seen this with a transient viral infection involving the nerves controlling the eye muscles.It can also represent a stroke or tumor.

Dr. Clifford Gevirtz
Anesthesiology

In brief: Only after a stoke

Only a stroke in the brain stem could cause crossed eyes and that would be the least of the problems should that occur. Normal voluntary crossing will not lead to a permanent problem.

In brief: Only after a stoke

Dr. Clifford Gevirtz
Dr. Clifford Gevirtz
Dr. Vicken Poochikian