Hardly slept at a for more than a week. Tried, valerian root, melatonin, kava, motrinpm, ambien, and xanax (alprazolam). Xanax (alprazolam) helped two nights but does not work now. Also tried relaxation techniques suggested. Help?

Please see doctor. If you're not sleeping for over a week, there are multiple possible causes including bipolar hypomania or mania, intoxication with stimulants, withdrawal from alcohol or other drugs, etc. You need to see a physician -- preferably a psychiatrist -- in person for an evaluation to see what's going on and to get the right kind of help. Best wishes.
Need a detailed exam. Insomnia has many causes from psychiatric causes to hormonal causes. My advice is to consult with your family physician and have him/her run some blood tests and then possibly refer you to a sleep specialist. .
Stop the Pills. I would say that it is time to stop all of these pills. Your approach to your sleep fears/obsession/problem is not working. It surely sounds like there is a bit of an addiction problem. But, first you will fall asleep. It is impossible to not fall asleep eventually and then to learn how to sleep again will come next. I often recommend for the long term mediation or breathing techniques to sleep.
Insomnia. You have tried many alternatives but have tried psychotherapy to uncover the root causes of your sleep disturbance. If not seek a consultation with a mental health professional who specializes in treating insomnia, this could very helpful to you. Best.