Preparing to leave for monthlong tour of india when I broke my foot. What should I do? 16

In brief: Which bone?

X-rays would be helpful to determine the location of the fracture.
Some fractures can be treated simply with a wooden/surgical shoe which acts as a splint and limits bending upon weight-bearing. A cam walker is a removable cast which allows you to bathe normally. More severe fractures may require crutches or surgical intervention.

In brief: Which bone?

Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Bruce Prager
Sports Medicine

In brief: Depends

You did not mention what part of your foot that you fractured.
If it is a metatarsal fx you may want to get an aircast boot. This is different then other fracture boots as it has an air bladder that you pump up that helps to unload the pressure on your foot. I have found them to help my patients get off crutches which would be a real hassle on a vacation.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine