How long does it take to tone your arms and legs after getting out of shape at 55?

Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Who cares just start

If you were previously in good shape, it will likely take less time, but it takes any body time to adapt to exercise.
The rule of thumb is that it takes twice as long as the time away from the gym to return to your previous level (eg 1 month away takes 2 months to recover). If you have been gone for awhile, give yourself at least 3-6 months to work back into shape.

In brief: Who cares just start

Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine

In brief: Muscle toning

I think after a couple months of either yoga, pilates, weight lifting, or p 90 x you should start to see some progress.
Remember to give your arms and legs time to recover between weights and so you may want to alternate upper body with lower body and sprinkle cardio workouts in between.

In brief: Muscle toning

Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine