Had stereotactic biopsy with complication. Took 40 plus mammogram views to capture. Is this safe? Biopsy was benign but worry this many views is bad.

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Worth it

I'm glad you're thinking about this.
Medical exposure is a large source of radiation. In this case, you needed the biopsy. The 40 mammos increases your cancer risk, but by a tiny amount. And the dose for a stereotactic biopsy is much less than a regular mammogram. Go to www.Xrayrisk.Com to calculate the risk; it's less than 0.2%, and that's an overestimate!

In brief: Worth it

I'm glad you're thinking about this.
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: It is still a

very tiny amount of radiation even with that many views, and it is only a small portion of one breast irradiated.
No need to worry.

In brief: It is still a

No need to worry.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham