Thinking of trying to get pregnant. I take Prozac (fluoxetine) for depression. What are the effects of taking Prozac (fluoxetine) while pregnant on my unborn baby?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Prozac (fluoxetine) ; pregnancy

Prozac (fluoxetine) has been studied extensively in pregnancy.
While it's not been shown to cause fetal malformations, it may be associated with neonatal distress at birth (25% risk) and also with persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. http://tinyurl.com/l57wsxn I have been a liaison psychiatrist on OB services, and suggest caution with these medications. Please discuss w/your OB ; psychiatrist.

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
3 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
I agree completely. I've been lucky. My approximately 30 years of practicing psychiatry I have not had any pregnant patients develop complications from antidepressants nor have their babies. Please note that depression itself is not without its own complications for the mother and the developing fetusThat's why the decision to take an antidepressant or not it's so difficult.
I too have not had mother's /babies with SSRI complications.
Dr. Romana Zvereva

In brief: The jury is still ou

Prozac (fluoxetine) considered to be the safest out of all ssri, but there is more data connecting women taking antidepressants during pregnancy and children born with lung problems.
To be on the safe side, taper off and see a therapist for depression, exercise.

In brief: The jury is still ou

Dr. Romana Zvereva
Dr. Romana Zvereva
Dr. Adam Levy