What is the side effects of nuclear medicine uptake on thyroid?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: No effect

Low radiation dose thyroid uptake test with radio tracer i123 or i131.
Thyroid gland picks up the iodine tracer. I-123 has a shorter half life than i-131 (13 hrs vs. 8.1 days), so use of i-123 exposes the body to less radiation. Thyroid gland function not affected by scan. Should not have test if pregnant or breast feeding. Tests are for thyroid function determining hypo vs hyperthyroidism.

In brief: No effect

Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Radiation...

You will receive a small dose of radiation but the benefits of diagnosing your condition should outweigh the risks of the radiation.

In brief: Radiation...

Dr. Vicken Poochikian