My pastor told me to avoid prenatal testing since I would just worry and not act on the information. Should i?

Dr. Danae Steele
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Your decision

Whether to do prenatal testing or not is your decision, and not your pastor's.
It can certainly cause some worry, but so can not knowing whether something is wrong with a baby. And whether to act on the information is also a very personal decision. Even very religious people sometimes choose to terminate a pregnancy if they know that a baby is going to die or have a very limited life.

In brief: Your decision

Dr. Danae Steele
Dr. Danae Steele
Dr. Richard Roberts
There are a multitude of people who would be very happy to tell you what to do, and happier if you followed their (uninformed) advice. Complete genetic counseling includes telling a woman that even if she would not terminate a pregnancy for any reason, the benefit is to eliminate the risk of conditions tested for, and the worry during the pregnancy, or to be fully informed prior to the delivery.
Dr. Cindy Juster