Enlarged lymph node and a doctor who ignores me. Should I refer myself to cancer doctor?

Dr. Della Howell
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: It depends

The symptoms that go along with the lymph node and the location of the lymph node should be considered.
If you are unhappy with the doctor's response, consider getting a second opinion from another primary care doctor before pushing to see the cancer specialist. Most of the time, lymph nodes are enlarged because they are reacting to some inflammation or infection, so close watch may be ok.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: See PCP

Kitty-i am more concerned about the "doctor who ignores me" than the "enlarged lymph node".
I suggest you return to your doctor and share your feelings--he/she could probably do a better job alleviating your concerns. If you remain unsatisfied, you probably need to see a different primary care physician (pcp).

In brief: See PCP

Dr. Yash Khanna
We see swollen glands in neck and other area following an infection,and the glands remain sometime for longer time,but are not due to cancer.Also feel of the glands,size of the gl;ands,location of the glands are all important,and if yoyr doctor has assured you that it is not serious then probebly it is so.I agree discuss your cocerns with your doctor or for your assurance get second opinion
Pathology

In brief: Second opinion

You may wish to get a second opinion from a family medicine doctor or internist before heading off to a cancer doctor.

In brief: Second opinion

Dr. Arnon Rubin