Do I have tmd or tmj?

Dr. Samuel Mckenna
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: TMD vs TMJ

Tmd encompasses a number of conditions of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and chewing muscles.
Tmd symproms include such findings as TMJ noise (popping, clicking), joint pain, restricted oral opening, and chewing muscle pain.

In brief: TMD vs TMJ

Dr. Samuel Mckenna
Dr. Samuel Mckenna
Dr. James Donley
"TMJ" is a term that is often used incorrectly. It refers to the temporal mandibular joint. Everybody has two of them. If somebody is having some type of joint issue then they have "TMD" - temporal mandibular dysfunction.

In brief: Anatomy vs symptoms

When i explain tmj/tmd to my patients, i tell them that everyone has TMJ (unless some type of mutation, cancer or accident.
) TMJ is the anatomy of the jaw joints- (t) temporal bone on upper maxilla; (m) mandible- lower jaw; (j) joints- where the two meet in a complex of tendons, ligaments, etc. Tmd are the symptoms exhibited by someone who has a problem with the TMJ complex.

In brief: Anatomy vs symptoms

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry

In brief: TMJ

Temporomandibular joint disorder is where people can experience severe pain and discomfort that can be temporary or last for many years.
One can have pain, limited opening, cracking, grating, and popping noises. It’s important that one have a thorough examination for proper diagnosis of the TMJ disorder. Tmj is the anatomical joint and tmd is the disorder.

In brief: TMJ

Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Too little info!

I'd have to have much more info to answer this question correctly.
You may have a tmd or TMJ problem if you have any of the following: jaw pain, pain on chewing, pain in the jaw joint in front of the ear, frequent headaches, jaw joint noises such as popping or clicking or grating or grinding, a change in your bite, grinding of your teeth at night, or a malocclusion (bad bite) leading to TMJ prob.

In brief: Too little info!

Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: A few things

What are symptoms of TMJ? Common TMJ symptoms: pain/tenderness of face, jaw joint area, ear, neck and shoulders, limited mouth opening, jaws that get "stuck" or "lock" in the open- or closed-mouth position, jaw joint clicking, popping, or grating sounds, , painful chewing, ear symptoms (hearing loss, imbalance, ear ringing, stuffiness).
Complicated problem to sort out. See an oral surgeon.

In brief: A few things

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Jack Hinkle