Does mom have brain damage or vascular dementia a year after a stroke?

Perhaps both. A single stroke causes discrete brain damage and can effect memory. However, there may be other circulatory problems in the brain that are not as dramatic as a stroke but which can contribute to memory loss.
Possibly yes. A neuropsychologist will help your mom to determine the overall cognitive status since after stroke.
Complex question. Vascular dementia is a form of brain damage that occurs after repeated, small strokes combine over time to cause a global dysfunction of cognition and memory (dementia). Your particular question can only be answered after a thorough evaluation by a neurologist.