Just saw that 1/88 us kids has autism. I don't believe that. Is someone making money off the diagnosis or treatment?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: As a matter of fact,

Not in the mainstream community, no.
Developmental/behavioral pediatrics is a cognitive subspecialty & , therefore, labor-intensive, as are neuropsychology, psychology, psychiatry, & behavioral therapy.We are not well-paid by insurance companies for our time. If we had a brain-o-scope & could do a 12-minute procedure, it'd be a different story. The diagnosis has broadened but is still valid.

In brief: As a matter of fact,

Not in the mainstream community, no.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Better diagnosis

Remember those kids who were in special ed when you were in school? Mine had 250 kids, and there were about 8 in the special education class.
That meant 1/30 had autism. Autism now encompasses the former diagnosis of mental retardation, developmental delay, conduct disorders, and most learning disabilities. They are all considered part of the spectrum, it's not worse, just definition changes.

In brief: Better diagnosis

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Not directly

I too am skeptical about the latest estimated prevalence of autism, but, I do not believe the increase has a big profit motive.
A huge problem is that a lack of objective measures to distinguish disordered behaviors from normal ones such as shyness and social awkwardness. The net has spread ever wider with us of "spectrum." still the wish to "explain" why my child is different is powerful.

In brief: Not directly

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott