Can I get gastric bypass covered by insurance or medicaid?

Dr. Scott Welle
Bariatrics
In brief: Usually
Gastric bypass is usually covered by most insurances including medicare and medicaid.
There are often requirements such as doctor supervised weight loss for a number of months, or the surgery to be performed at a bariatric center of excellence. But yes it is covered usually.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Scott Welle
Dr. Scott Welle
Dr. Ernie Ordonez
Bariatrics
In brief: Yes or No
Some insurance companies would decline because it is a cosmetic proceedure, unless you have diabetes, hypertension and life-threatening medical conditions.
Medicaid , most surgeons accept this plan. I see obese patients refer to me by bariatric or plastic surgeons to lose 30 lbs. Before they do the operation.

In brief: Yes or No
Dr. Ernie Ordonez
Dr. Ernie Ordonez
Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
If you meet criteria.

If you meet criteria.
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology