Can I eat lots of sugarfree candy and still have low blood sugar if diabetic?

Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Depends on sweetener
Some sugar free candies are calorie free but some are not.
Part of it depends on the sweetener used. Sugar alcohols can still raise your sugar. And some sugar free foods have just as many calories as the "regular" version, so they may not raise your blood sugar as much, but "lots" will cause weight gain and eventual increase in blood sugar. "lots" of anything is bad.

In brief: Depends on sweetener
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Not healthy
Lots of candies that are claimed to be sugar free can have carbs particularly sugar alcohol which in the eyes of many nutrition experts (including me) tend to elevate bs and should be accounted for. As the old saying goes , everything in excess can be harmful, sugar free candies can be consumed but with moderation and not to be used of course during a hypoglycemic episode.

In brief: Not healthy
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Won't help low sugar
Sugar-free candy is usually sweetened with a non-digestable sugar alcohol such as maltitol or sorbitol.
Overdoing this candy will cause bloating, gas, and diarrhea. Likewise, sugar-free candy is not calorie-free. You may experience higher blood sugars hours later from any fat or protein in candy, like in chocolate +/- nuts.

In brief: Won't help low sugar
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Marsha Davis