Can ect causse permanent damege?

Dr. Byron Law-Yone

In brief: May be.

Ect used today is considered fairly safe and unlikely to cause permanent brain damage.
However, I have seen several reliable patients who have reported having significant memory problems since their ECT treatment many years ago. Applying the electrodes unlaterally to the non dominant hemisphere is reported to cause less memory problems

In brief: May be.

Dr. Byron Law-Yone
Dr. Byron Law-Yone
Dr. Ravi Chand

In brief: ECT

After immediate treatment there may be unto 24 hour of confusion in the long run, most likely less than 1 % chance of permanent memory issues.

In brief: ECT

Dr. Ravi Chand
Dr. Ravi Chand
Dr. Alan Ali
Depends on the method used & whether unilateral or bilateral, however, prognosis is good & complications rare.