Can acupuncture improve dysphagia?

Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Maybe...

A study has been done evaluating acupuncture for dysphagia due to a stroke.
Conclusion of study:" findings suggest that acupuncture may be useful for the treatment of post-stroke swallowing disorders. The specificity of the results to swallowing implies that its success is not simply a generalized response to acupuncture. Further studies are warranted in this area.".

In brief: Maybe...

Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
I would add ... first you have to define "dysphagia" which is a medical term not in the lexicon of average Joe. Is it a; lump, reflux, gerd, burning, regurgitation, belching??? I would have to say YES! Once all the variable causing the issues are addressed the success rate of therapy will increase. Used along "Acupuncture is a powerful tool but use in combo with all our weapons it is even more potent.

In brief: Research

I agree with dr. Niknia - agkassi.
Please see this site for a small but encouraging study on dysphagia improvement in stroke patients who received acupuncture. http://www.medicalacupuncture.org/aama_marf/journal/vol14_3/article3.html.

In brief: Research

I agree with dr. Niknia - agkassi.
Dr. Fred Harvey
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Maybe

It is more likely to work in cases of functional rather than structural abnormality.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Fred Harvey
Dr. Fred Harvey
Dr. Eric Weisman