Are there infections that can cause me difficulty swallowing?

Yes. Any infection of the throat can lead to swallowing difficulty. Tonsillitis, peritonsillar abscess, nasopharyngeal infections, laryngitis all cause trouble swallowing.
Absolutely. Any infection affecting the throat can cause difficulty swallowing (dysphagia). This includes tonsil infections, pharyngitis, esophagitis, and any abscess involving the throat/neck. These cause local swelling and pain which makes it difficult to swallow. There are other reasons for difficulty swallowing besides infection as well -- so difficulty on its own does not automatically mean an infection.