How can antidepressants relieve irritable bowel syndrome pain?

Gut has serotonin. Common antidepressants (ssris like prozac) act on serotonin and the gut has more serotonin than the brain.
Decrease Stress. Stress/anxiety makes the symptoms of IBS worse. The goal of giving antidepressants to a patient is to reduce their stress, thus decreasing the IBS symptoms. Antidepressants increase serotonin levels in nerve endings. The GI tract and the brain have receptors to which serotonin increasing medicines (antidepressants) bind. Increasing serotonin in the GI tract decreases IBS symptoms.