My vit d was 16 about 6 weeks ago. I took 10, 000 iu/day for 2 weeks, then 5, 000 iu/day since then. 2 weeks ago level was 42. How long do I continue?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: No definitive answer

Healthy amount of vitamin d intake depends on how much in your diet already, sex, age, history of fractures, propensity for falls, family hx, bone density, amount of sun exposure, what country or area u come from, color of your eyes, your height loss (due to compression of each of the 23 vertebrae) as u age: got it-:).
I suggest 1000 iu/day, or 50k/wk for 1year, and 20 min outdoors daily yr round.

In brief: No definitive answer

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: MANY answers

Most labs report vitamin d level >30 is normal.
Some endocrinologists feel a goal level is 50 is good. The univ. Of washington (wa) recommends 2000units/day everyday for residents of western wa-seatte (its' cloudy there). Vitamin d is 'fat-soluable' so levels can build up in the body to dangerous levels if un-monitored. So you could cut your dose and re-check again.

In brief: MANY answers

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Pathology

In brief: Reduce dose

You should reduce the dose to about 1000 units/day and check the blood levels about once a year.

In brief: Reduce dose

Dr. Steven Seres