I had my IUD put in on february 29 of this year and this whole month I've been on it I've had non stop bleeding not to mention on march 17th I actually ?

Dr. CESAR HOLGADO

In brief: Not unusual

It is not unusual to have prolonged bleeding or bleeding in between periods for up to 6 months after insertion of the iud.
With the Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud, after a few months of prolonged bleeding, your cycles become lighter and shorter. Inter-menstrual bleeding is not unusual though.

In brief: Not unusual

Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Angela Zhang

In brief: IUD

It is common for women who have the 10 year iud (paraguard) to have heavier periods/cramping (ibuprofen may help).
The 5 year iud (mirena) releases the hormone levonorgestrel, which can cause irregular bleeding in the early months but generally leads to lighter to no periods. See your doctor if you have excessive bleeding/pain, symptoms of pregnancy, infection, or iud expulsion.

In brief: IUD

Angela Zhang
Angela Zhang
Answer assisted by Angela Zhang, Medical Student
Dr. Jane Van Dis