3yr old had 2 severe asthma attacks within 2 weeks. Now can't run without  getting very sob and cough. Has reliever 4hrly what else can I do?

In brief: Review action plan

Typically when children are diagnosed with asthma, the goal is to obtain control of symptoms and to try to establish what may be triggering the episodes.
Your child should have an "asthma action plan" that includes different types of medications used at different times that are used to help control symptoms. Become familiar with all his medications and review the plan with your child doc.

In brief: Review action plan

Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Asthma attack

Are the "asthma attacks" recent? has the child been diagnosed with reactive airway for some time? At this age, with sudden unexplained new-onset or exacerbation of wheezing or SOB, I strongly recommend chest x-ray to rule out a foreign body aspiration immediately.
Don't just assume its asthma. If its asthma or exposure to an irritant such as infection, allergy or smoke then PCP will devise tx plan

In brief: Asthma attack

Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Dr. Edwin Ishoo

In brief: Asthma

For moderate to severe asthma, inhaled steroids are recommended.
If that's not enough to control the symptoms, your dr may want to add singulair (montelukast) as well.

In brief: Asthma

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Atypical ("walking") pneumonia is also a possibility in this setting.
Dr. Cindy Juster