Any good OTC scar removal silicone stuff that could be a good way to get rid of scars?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Reduce NOT rid

Otc silicones have not been put to a good consumers report test to the best of my knowledge & i understand your confusion.
As a physician it is also hard to compare the products head to head as they all have different combinations of products which may have some benefits. I prefer those products containing silicone & sunblock or sunscreen. There are many to choose from and should be used 4-9 month.

In brief: Reduce NOT rid

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik

In brief: I agree

There was an article in the journal of the amercan academy of dermatology a few years back that discussed all these various otc scar treatments.
Silicone got good marks but there still is not enough data to really say it is the best thing to use. I believe the article was from 2006 or 2007.

In brief: I agree

Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Clark Schierle
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Scar Treatments

Silicone gel containing products and massage will help speed the maturation, flattening and lightening of most scars.
If the scar is truly starting to become hypertrophic, you may require some additional intervention such as a steroid injection or a revision.

In brief: Scar Treatments

Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Richard Zienowicz
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Will help a little

Otc silicone scar gels won't elininate a scar ever. They only help speed up the process of scar maturation.
Pressure is another excellent method to accomplish the same. Paper tape worn 24/7 over the scar like a butterfly bandage pulled across the scar line to prevent separation of the edges will typically make the scar less puffy and red in several days. This must be worn a few months.

In brief: Will help a little

Dr. Richard Zienowicz
Dr. Richard Zienowicz
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: Mederma,bio oil

Both will flatten raised scars over a period of several weeks, but will not be effective for indented or ice pick scars .
This require laser or fillers for improvement.

In brief: Mederma,bio oil

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried