Phobia of eating other people's germs with my food keeps me from parties and restaurants. Am I crazy or smart?

Dr. Chris Esguerra

In brief: Cautious vs Phobia

The key to whether an avoidance behavior like yours is a disorder is whether it compromises your life in significant ways or prevents normal life functioning (in work, relationships, school, etc).
If the phobia of eating other people's germs has affected friendships and your life in general, it may be a good idea to seek an evaluation.

In brief: Cautious vs Phobia

Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: In the middle

It's smart to want to stay healthy and avoid germs.
However, it crosses the line when your anxiety or phobia of germs interferes with your work, relationships, family or when you start avoiding things that you would otherwise enjoy. Talk to a doctor and/or therapist and get evaluated.

In brief: In the middle

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Adam Smith