Can the birth control shot be making me lose my hair?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Possible
Any time there is a significant change in hormone levels, like starting the shot for birth control (or getting pregnant, or after delivery, or starting or stopping birth control pills, etc) the normal cycle of hair growth and replacement can be affected.
The most common change noted is an increase in hair loss - it should be a transient change. Within a few months the hair loss should stop.

In brief: Possible
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
In brief: Rarely
Thinning of the hair happens to a few women taking Progesterone including the Levonorgestrel iud (mirena).
This side effect is completely reversible by discontinuing the medication.

In brief: Rarely
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham