Is there a connection between anxiety and stuttering, stammering?

Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Yes and no.

Anxiety can produce stuttering - & stuttering certainly produces anxiety.
But speech dysfluencies can &often do exist independently of underlying anxiety. To me, stuttering is one of the more difficult conditions to treat. And it can be heartbreaking. A comprehensive approach is essential. Too often, meds are not considered, but they should be, if only for the secondary anxiety involved.

In brief: Yes and no.

Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Jay Lefer

In brief: A difference

Anxiety does create a hesitation in speech that resembles suffering, however, stuttering and stammering, a speech impediment starts in childhood and may well be related to the mother-child relationship, an anxious mother transmits her anxiety as the child is learning to speak.
Psychiatric treatment reveals that hostile feeling can cause stuttering.

In brief: A difference

Dr. Jay Lefer
Dr. Jay Lefer