Are women more susceptible to irritable bowel syndrome?

IBS. Yes, women are more susceptible to irritable bowel syndrome than men, however no one knows why. There are three types of ibs: predominant diarrheal type, predominant constipational type and a mixture of diarrhea and constipation alternating.
Yes. There is a higher rate of IBS in females for unknown reasons.
Multifactorial cause. Irritable bowel syndrome is the multifactorial consequence of hormonal, immune system and nervous system dysfunction resulting from genetic predispositions and dietary and environmental insults. The predominant symptoms like diarrhea cramps constipation are the result of autonomic nervous system instability. Estrogen increases parasympathetic tone & can make ibs worse.