Dance a lot, but now I have Achilles tendonitis. What can I do?

Dr. Stephen Cohen
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Newer Treatments
I suggest resting the tendon and seeking treatment for this sooner rather than later. I have been dealing with this condition myself for over five years, which was refractory to stretches, heel lifts, and eccentric strengthening.
Newer treatments including ultrasounded guided tenotomy & prp really helped me. People are also now using stem cell treatments as well.

In brief: Newer Treatments
Dr. Stephen Cohen
Dr. Stephen Cohen
Dr. Oliver Wang
Podiatry
In brief: Achilles tendonitis
First, it is due to overuse so the first thing you need to do is to stop the activity and rest the tendon.
Ice is helpful to reduce inflammation. Anti-inflammatories may also help with pain and swelling. The achilles tendon can be strained due to lack of support in your arch. Orthotics will help.

In brief: Achilles tendonitis
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Daniel Farber
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle
In brief: Stretch!
After a period of rest and perhaps anti inflammatories (ibuprofen, aleve, (naproxen) .
.) then start a regular achilles stretching regimen. For some a period of bracing or therapy may be necessary.

In brief: Stretch!
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Daniel Farber
In brief: RICE
Rest, ice, compression and elevation try to put a pad in the heel of your shoe to raise the heel and take pressure off the achilles tendon.
If it persists you need to be examined to make sure there is not a tear.

In brief: RICE
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Stretching
The most important part of treating achilles tendinitis is stretching before activity (such as dancing) and stretching ever morning before walking around tearing at it.
It should be stretched both with your knee straight and with it bent (such as crossed over your other knee). Many other treatments available, and can be addressed if initial stretching does not help. Good luck!

In brief: Stretching
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
In brief: Stretch
Start a full stretching regimen before and after you dance.
If your in acute pain and need quick relief now, use ice 20 minutes on then 20 minutes off. Use over the counter advil (ibuprofen) for quick pain relief. Also avoid walking in bare feet. Use a shoe with a heel to relax the achilles tendon during every day activity.

In brief: Stretch
Dr. Jeffrey Lucido
Dr. Jeffrey Lucido
Dr. Daniel Hatch
Podiatry
In brief: Achilles
Your initial treatment would include: ice, rest from activities that aggregate this condition such as running and jumping, anti-inflamatories, mild stretching and wearing a shoe with a slightly elevated heel.
If your symptoms persist for a few weeks you should seek professional care with radiographic studies. Physical therapy can also be very helpful.

In brief: Achilles
Dr. Daniel Hatch
Dr. Daniel Hatch
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine