I asked them to not cut me, but now I have episiotomy stitches. I am upset. What do I say?

Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Don't be upset!

The current trend in obstetrics (according to my colleagues) is not to do surgical episiotomies, as there is a great deal of evidence that healing is better if the posterior birth canal is allowed to tear naturally.
However, this tearing often requires repair with sutures by the obstetrician. So, just because you have stitches doesn't mean you had an episiotomy. Ask your surgeon!

In brief: Don't be upset!

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: Talk with them

Episiotomies are done only when absolutely necessary.
It was likely an emergency. They have 2 lives to consider - yours and the baby's.

In brief: Talk with them

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Jane Van Dis