Stabbing pain under left ribs & burning sensation in chest & upper abdomen went to ER they sent me home what could it be? I can't even sleep from it.

Dr. Warren Wolfe

In brief: Intercostal neuralgi

Sounds from the information you give that you may have what is commonly called a "pinched nerve) in your dorsal (back) vertebrae.
May have been caused by coughing really hard. Also to be considered is a lung infection. Please see your family physician as you may need a chest x-ray. If normal i would also suggest seeing an osteopathic physician for manipulation of your back.

In brief: Intercostal neuralgi

Dr. Warren Wolfe
Dr. Warren Wolfe
Dr. Eric Weisman