I have bruxism pretty bad. Ear pain sore gums etc.. Can bruxism cause acid reflux? Will my mouth gard help my symptoms soon?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: SB and GERD

New research has linked SB and GERD.
Sleep bruxism (SB) is prevalent in GERD patients, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is highly associated with SB.

In brief: SB and GERD

New research has linked SB and GERD.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dentistry

In brief: Sleep disorders

Bruxism and gerd are both considered sleep disorders.
The only way to uncover these and other more life shortening or threatening conditions is with an overnight full psg sleep test. I urge you to get to the bottom of this by a clear diagnosis from a certified sleep specialist.

In brief: Sleep disorders

Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Rx the cause

Your oro-facial symptoms and your GI symptoms are emblematic of stress disorder. While night guard and gerd meds may mask symptoms thy will not necessarily rx the underlying cause.
Counseling added to your treatment regemin may prove to be of great value.

In brief: Rx the cause

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. steven Present
A night guard may help some of your symptoms. However, it will not help your GERD. That should be evaluated by a Gastroenterologist. Especially to rule out Barrett's disease.
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry

In brief: Not related

Your symptoms can get better with the use of an occlusal guard, your acid reflex could be due to stress as well but could be a separate issue as well.
Best to have it checked out and get some meds to protect you stomach and teeth from the acid.

In brief: Not related

Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dentistry

In brief: No relations

Bruxism has no effect on acid reflux, night guards should alleviate the sore teeth and gums but well not cure acid reflux.

In brief: No relations

Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Not related

GERD not at all related to bruxism, or stress.
Other treatments available for bruxism like Botox injections. See a TMJ expert to explore your options.

In brief: Not related

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine