My mother is 76 yrs old. She is suffering from arthritis, advised to have total knee replacement. How come?

Need evaluation. As a rheumatologist we advise people on surgery but need to know many things. What is the involvement of the knee? What does imaging show ? X-ray, mri? Ultrasound? Is she exercising? What are her true limitations? What are her associated medical conditions? Is she able to stick to a strict physical therapy rehabilitation program? Has she been doing that now? Pt - important for success.
Effective treatment. It is aneffective pain relieving reatment for endstage arthritis for which nothing else has worked and it out performs a knee fusion the previous surgical treatment.