Can the damage of the esophagus caused by stomach acid from GERD be healed?

Yes. Yes, many medications can heal acid reflux. The strongest medications fall under the class of proton pump inhibitors. They block stomach acid production and can heal erosive esophagitis almost 90 percent of the time at 8 weeks.
Yes. Suppression of stomach acid production with medications, over time, can allow the damage within the esophagus to heal. However, given that the issue that usually causes gerd, a hiatal hernia, is a permanent structural anomaly, damage does tend to recur once medications are stopped.