My husband has bad shingles, should I stay home from work for a few days to help him?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: A better idea...

...Is to take him to a dermatologist, who will prescribe an antiviral medication (valacyclovir, famciclovir), and if necessary, pain medications.
Shingles is a self-limited problem, so you do not need to stay home with him unless you feel it is necessary.

In brief: A better idea...

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Shingles

Good home care also can help shingles heal faster. Take care of any skin sores, and keep them clean.
Take your medicines as directed. If you are bothered by pain, tell your doctor. He or she may write a prescription for pain medicine or suggest an over-the-counter pain medicine. Stay home with your husband for a few days.

In brief: Shingles

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Peter Kurzweil