My brother had a positive ELISA test for HIV followed by an indeterminate western blot. His viral load detected no virus. How confident should I be?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Pretty confident

It sounds like's he's negative and just happens to have an indeterminate wb.
This happens sometimes, for reasons that are never entirely explained. However, i would recommend that he get the elisa and western blot retested one month after the first. If there has been no progression of the WB (addition of new bands), then he's definitely negative.

In brief: Pretty confident

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Michael Sepulveda

In brief: Some people are posi

Some people are positive and never need to be treated.
Hopefully, it's your brother case. He will need his viral load check frequently to establish this fact.

In brief: Some people are posi

Dr. Michael Sepulveda
Dr. Michael Sepulveda
Dr. Keegan Duchicela