Knee pain after tramping for hours then going downhill, uphill is fine. Outside of knee horizontal line in middle. As i lift & lower my leg to step down, not when my weight goes on it. How to fix?

Dr. James Burns
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Could be

A few things depending upon a history of prior injuries or surgeries, but the discomfort particularly going downhill makes me wonder about the acl (anterior cruciate ligament) and the patellofemoral joint, makes me suggest you see your doctor for an exam.

In brief: Could be

Dr. James Burns
Dr. James Burns
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Likely instability

Likely knee instability causing knee cap to rub against femur. An exercise program to strengthen quadriceps muscle should help.

In brief: Likely instability

Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Bruce Rothschild

In brief: Knee pain

As already stated , this merits an exam by your orthopedist.
Pain is always your body's way of telling you to seek help.

In brief: Knee pain

Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Vikram Patel