Question about underactive thyroid--is that just a mild form of hypothyroid?

Dr. James Chu
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Same condition
Hypothyroidism refers to the state in which the thyroid is under-producing thyroid hormone (= underactive in this function).
Most common forms of hypothyroidism (or underactive thyroid gland) are: autoimmune thyroiditis (hashimoto's disease), surgical removal of thyroid, excessive iodine intake, or after radio-active iodine ablation of thyroid gland.

In brief: Same condition
Dr. James Chu
Dr. James Chu
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
In brief: Not a medical term
Underactive thyroid is not a medical term. I use that term to help distinguish hypo and hyper thyroidiism which sound too similar!

In brief: Not a medical term
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Keegan Duchicela