Question about underactive thyroid--is that just a mild form of hypothyroid?

Dr. James Chu
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Same condition

Hypothyroidism refers to the state in which the thyroid is under-producing thyroid hormone (= underactive in this function).
Most common forms of hypothyroidism (or underactive thyroid gland) are: autoimmune thyroiditis (hashimoto's disease), surgical removal of thyroid, excessive iodine intake, or after radio-active iodine ablation of thyroid gland.

In brief: Same condition

Dr. James Chu
Dr. James Chu
Dr. Shabbir Hossain

In brief: Not a medical term

Underactive thyroid is not a medical term. I use that term to help distinguish hypo and hyper thyroidiism which sound too similar!

In brief: Not a medical term

Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Vicken Poochikian