When I take a diuretic I get really bad leg cramps. Should I stop or switch?

Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Talk to your doctor

Diuretics can certainly cause leg cramps.
If they are that bad, it would be reasonable to stop taking it. But before you do that, you should really discuss it with the prescribing doctor. If the diuretic is for high bp, you want to make sure your BP is being controlled. You would likely require another medication for BP when stopping your diuretic.

In brief: Talk to your doctor

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Are you taking potassium supplements while taking the diuretics?
Dr. Shabbir Hossain

In brief: Talk to doc

Talk to your doc.
Maybe you don't need it. Maybe your electrolytes have been affected and can be supplemented if the diuretics are a must.

In brief: Talk to doc

Talk to your doc.
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine