I have been told that I have diverticulitis and colitis.I am on oral cipro (ciprofloxacin) and Flagyl for both.How long for the meds to kick in and the diarrheatostop?

Dr. Perry Milman
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Confirm the dx

You first have to make sure that the diagnosis is correct.
Diverticular associated colitis is a real entity, but it is less common than ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease. If a gastroenterologist confirmed that diagnosis with colonoscopy and biopsy, then sometimes antibiotics, such as Cipro (ciprofloxacin) and Flagyl may not work to stop the diarrhea. Other treatment options are possible.

In brief: Confirm the dx

Dr. Perry Milman
Dr. Perry Milman
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery