If my gallbladder is removed, do I need to restrict my fat in the diet?

Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Bariatrics

The gallbladder stores and concentrates bile, which is then released to aid in breakdown of fatty foods.
Without the gallbladder, patients may have some loose stool or even diarrhea after eating fried or fatty foods. This generally gets better over the course of a few months.

Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Sometimes

About 20% of people who have their gallbladder removed experience diarrhea after eating fatty foods.
This often resolves spontaneously within a few weeks after surgery. Ironically, a common wive's tale about gallbladder surgery is that it leads to weight gain. Actually, the weight gain may occur if someone was eating healthy before surgery to avoid attacks and goes back to these foods post-op.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Marsha Davis