Should I have a water birth?

Dr. Charlene Sojico
In brief: Personal choice
There are pros and cons to any type of delivery.
Choose which one you are more comfortable with.Things may go wrong, so be prepared for any unforeseen emergencies.

In brief: Personal choice
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Kevin Daus
I agree and you need to do your homework because there is not much science out there and a lot of personal opinions. I have an article by Web MD that I put on my web page to help my patients decide. I would have a talk with your provider also. The link is http://kevindausmd.com/links.html
Dr. Danae Steele
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Talk to your midwife
Waterbirths are popular among women who do not want to expose their baby to medications for pain when they are in labor.
Being in warm water seems to help women relax and deal with pain better. As long as the baby is doing well during labor, waterbirths seem to be safe, as healthy babies don't take their first breath until they come up into the air.

In brief: Talk to your midwife
Dr. Danae Steele
Dr. Danae Steele
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
In brief: Water Births
A water birth is an option for women with no problems during their pregnancy.
It is felt to reduce the pain of childbirth. Some doctors and midwives offer water births and other do not. Talk to your doctor.

In brief: Water Births
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
In brief: Reason ?
I must take that into account a listed age of 49 for an answer. Childbirth is not the equivalent of a baby shower. It has potential to be a blessed wonderful event, or a medical disaster for baby.
A thorough evaluation by an OBGYN followed by good prenatal care and delivery at a midwife friendly dual purpose center might fit your needs.Have the option to switch methods with docs standing by

In brief: Reason ?