I have a gastrointestinal fistula, what is the best way to make sure I get enough fluids?

Dr. Kyle Cologne
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Electrolyte solution
Fistulas to the skin may be high output, and cause significant fluid losses.
Check with your doctor, as it depends on the location of the fistula. Electrolyte solutions (pedialyte, sports drinks) are often a way to prevent dehydration. There are also medications to slow down the output from fistulas and increase the amount of fluid your body absorbs.

In brief: Electrolyte solution
Dr. Kyle Cologne
Dr. Kyle Cologne
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Urine color, labs
Making sure you get enough fluids is very important if you have a fistula.
You can monitor your fluid status by your symptoms, the color of your urine, your weight, and by checking laboratory tests. Generally, if you have very pale, colorless urine, you are getting enough fluids.

In brief: Urine color, labs
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras